The existing rules for cemeteries and burials in UnionTownship, Miami County, Ohio, are as follows:
- All cemeteries close at dark.
- The Union Township Trustees expressly reserves the right at any and all times, with or without notice to Owners, to adopt new rules and regulations, or to amend, alter, make exception and/or repeal any rule, regulation and/or section, paragraph/or sentence in the Rules and Regulations.
- No alcohol or illegal drugs of any kind will be allowed on the cemetery grounds.
a) All decorations should be clear of cemetery maintenance.
b) All artificial, unsightly, and dead flowers and grave decorationsmust be removed from the grave by March 1st. No new flowers are to be placed until after April 1 to allow for spring clean up.
c) No glass, ceramic, or other breakable containers are permitted in Union Township Cemeteries.
d) No planting of anything that grows from root, vine, bulb, or seed.
e) Shepherd poles are not to exceed two tiers, must be placed beside or in the foundation, and shall not extend beyond the foundation. There is to be only one (1) pole per monument.
f) Any Holidaydecorations, which do not sit on the monument or foundation, must be removed within 10 days following any Government or Religious Holiday or they will be discarded.
g) No winter grave blankets are to be placed until after the Thanksgiving Holiday to allow for winter preparation in the cemeteries.
h) PriorUnionTownship approval must be granted to place stepping stones, concrete statues, or crosses.
i) All flower saddles must have grave names on them in the event they are blown off by wind.
j) Union Township is not responsible for items placed on any grave lot.
- All burials must have a vault of adequate structure to support fill and cemetery equipment. Only metal reinforced concrete and metal reinforced fiberglass vaults are acceptable.
- Wilbert Way” type of burial set-up is not permitted in any Union Township Cemetery.
- Vaults with flat lids are not permitted in any Union Township Cemetery.
- Pet burials are not permitted.
- All burials in UnionTownship must be in one of the public cemeteries or in a well-established private or family cemetery.
- Union township must be notified by noon on Friday for a Monday a.m. (or Tuesday a.m. burial after a holiday falls on a Monday) burial or the Saturday rate will apply.
- Funerals should be within cemetery grounds prior to 3 pm weekdays and 1 pm on Saturdays to allow for a timely closing of the grave.
- No burials on Sundays or holidays.
- Union Township reserves the right to re-schedule burial services if weather conditions warrant, such as severe weather, heavy snow storms, or subzero temperatures.
- The grave on which a burial is taking place must be paid for prior to the time of the burial.
- Burial Fee must be paid for prior to the time of burial.
- Burial permit must be given to the township personnel prior to the time of burial.
- Indigent Burials – See Indigent Cremation Policy and Procedure per Resolution No. 06-27
- All stones must have a foundation. Foundation orders placed by monument companies must be paid for prior to stone being set; all other foundation orders must be prepaid.
- Graves must be paid for prior to the time of foundation pouring.
- No stone or cement ledger monuments permitted.
- UnionTownship crews must pour all foundations and reserves the right to join foundations.
- Foundations will be poured April through September - weather permitting. See Foundation Schedule.
- All stones shall be facing east west to allow for cemetery maintenance.
- Foundations will not be poured that are longer than the width of the grave or graves owned by the individual
- Foundations will not be poured whose width will later obstruct the installation of a vault, either on that grave or on surrounding graves.
- UnionTownship is not responsible for weather related stone damage.
- Policy on Repair or Replacement of Damaged Tombstones - When a tombstone(s) has been damaged by a specific occurrence, and the family cannot be contacted to arrange for repair or replacement, the trustees will determine the cost of repairs, and if that cost exceeds the cost of a (10” to 12” x 20” to 24” x 4”) grasser monument, then the township will install a grasser(s).
- Foundations for veterans’ plaques will be provided and installed free of charge. Note: Plaques to be installed on the back of a monument must be handled by a monument company and cost is the responsibility of the party having the plaque installed.
- Transfers in ownership of unused cemetery graves will be valid only when recorded by the Fiscal Officer in the township’s cemetery deed books. Transfers of ownership can be made only to immediate family members. No unused grave(s) can be sold to anyone other than the Township. The sellback price would be one half (50%) of the current selling price or the original purchase price, whichever is greater. Since Union Township Trustees have no records of the cemetery prior to the township owning the cemetery, we are unable to guarantee no human remains are buried there. If remains are discovered while preparing the grave(s) for burial, it will be your responsibility to purchase additional grave(s), if needed.
- Graves will be held 90 days with a non-refundable deposit of $20.00 per grave if purchaser is a township resident. If purchaser does not live in the township, the non-refundable deposit is $50.00 per grave. If full payment is not received during the 90-day period, the deposit will be forfeited, the remaining balance refunded and the grave(s) available for resale.
- The Trustees reserve the right to limit the number of graves sold per family.
- Schedule of fees - See Cemetery Rates.
- Residency Requirements: The following residency requirements shall apply with regard to the issuance of deeds to grave(s);
a. A person shall be deemed a “resident” of UnionTownship if that person is eligible, by reason of actual place of primary abode, to be an “elector” of UnionTownship. b. A person shall be deemed a “non-resident” of UnionTownship if that person is not eligible, by reasonof actual place of primary abode, to be an “elector” of UnionTownship. c. The actual residency status of the person(s) in whose name(s) the deed of grave(s) is to be issued shall determine the “resident” or “non-resident” fee to be charged. No deed to grave(s) shall be issued in the name of both “resident(s)” and “non-resident(s)”. d. Residency shall be determined at the time of the original issuance of deed(s) or subsequent transfers as may be applicable.
- No dogs or pets of any kind allowed in any UnionTownshipCemetery with the exception of helper dogs.
- No vehicles permitted except for those engaged in cemetery functions.
- All Cemetery Rates and Rules are subject to change.
- A fee of $40.00 will be applied to any returned check.
ADDENDUM TO CEMETERY RULES
- All scattering events are scheduled weather permitting.
- Scatterings may be conducted by UnionTownship personnel. With permission, Funeral Director, Minister, Priest, Rabbi, or Family member may conduct scatterings.
- No decorations are permitted.
- All scatterings in UnionTownship must be in the designated scattering area.
- The scattering fee must be paid prior to the time of the event.
- No monuments, other than the plaque provided, are permitted.
- All plaques are installed at the township’s convenience.
- UnionTownship is not responsible for weather damage.
- Schedule of fees - See attached Cemetery Rates.
- UnionTownship must be notified 24 hours prior to the time of scattering.
- No scatterings on Weekends or holidays.